Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Tecnosystem Magic Coffee

As I write this post, I am feeling somewhat of a vandal. I bought an almost unused and unknown Italian machine via Trademe. As it was described as a pod machine and being sold a few days before Christmas, it went very cheaply - NZ$100. I happen to know this is actually a very expensive machine to buy new, I had seen it in the flesh previously so to speak. This is the model intended for small office use so it does not steam, only makes hot water (yep a bit odd imo).

So, why did I buy yet another machine? Well, on close inspection of the auction photo (included below) it clearly had the same portafilter as a Le'lit and La Pavoni Espresso machine. Therefore by deduction it also had a Quaha boiler and as the portafilter is a standard basket type, it would be useable on the X1/X3. I would have paid NZ$100 for a brand new portafilter - so this was a good deal for parts. Now I wasn't 100% certain and did not have the chance to check it out before bidding, so it was a bit of a punt. It was doubly a punt, as the X1 was originally a 52mm group, and I had no idea if the 57mm group would fit. If the punt didn't pay off, in the worst case I could modify the Tecnosystem machine to steam and sell it on...


Now, the reason I feel like a vandal should be obvious. It is almost brand new and really is top quality. My punt on the boiler, portafilter etc. paid off, as its a 57mm Quaha unit - and the portafilter (PF) has a 3/8 thread, just like the proper grown up ones. That means I can fit standard spouts and a pressure guage to the PF which I couldn't with the Asasco PF - I still haven't been able to work out the thread on that one...

The Tecnosystem machine is better made with better components than the FF! X1 or X3. Problem is,... the strange pods it takes and the lack of steaming ability. I would have to modify it to produce steam for home use - and it still would be an unknown and under-appreciated brand were I to resell it. Next photo is of the insides, and as you can see, it really is top notch - including a brass ULKA pump in place of the usual plastic ones. So as far as parts are concerned: NZ$100 for the portafilter, spout and basket; NZ$ 150-200+ for a complete brass Boiler; NZ$ 75+ for a steam wand, $NZ 75+ for a normal ULKA pump, who knows how much more for a brass one. So as you can see, it is worth much more as parts than the NZ$100 I paid for it. Sad. Really - but its not worth being silly about these things. So the insides. It was a real and rather pleasant surprise to open it and see this level of build and component quality.

The very strange pod system. It uses a standard single basket and then this peculiar Gasket/Seal. I spent a little time wondering what the holes in the outer brass rim were, poked them a bit and found they were blind. How odd. I had already removed the dispersion screen before taking this photo.

The boiler assembly - mmm lovely. Only 1 thermostat fitted, as it did not steam in its original home, additional holes are present that will take a std threaded thermostat however, so that's not a problem. Now as to fit....
Sometimes one gets more lucky than one deserves... this time it was me. That funny pod assembly, well, it turned out it unscrews. That is of course what the 2 blind holes were for, underneath is a standard boiler ready to take a jet assembly. Not that it is the same as the ones I already have, but I am definitely winning here. I assumed I would have to machine the distribution disk into the boiler base, but its already done - yay!

And I keep getting lucky. The original perforated X1 aluminum boiler assembly, including 52mm retaining ring (underneath to hold the PF), and....

... the 57mm Quaha assembly fits right in with the same holes. Exactly. 100% perfectly. Everything lines up - and I don't have to bodge the X1 case at all. Seriously I did not expect that, or the removable pod screen/jet thing - so its been a very fortuitous day. So, this is what I am going to do - I will have an updated and almost new X1 with a quality brass boiler and PF, for ground coffee only. Mmm shinny!

And.... I don't even need to buy a new group head seal - the teflon one from the smaller 52mm X1 fits perfectly! I will have a look at a La Pavoni soon and see if the gasket fills the entire space. I imagine it does, but this one seals the PF easily. I have put the Gaggia screen on to check for fit.

So this is the Tecnosystem/La Pavoni/Le'lit portafilter. It is very nice, heavier than the Ascaso one, and as mentioned before fits a standard 3/8 spout. Which means I can do...

...this! Put together from odds and ends in my garage, this cost the grand total of NZ$0. Would be cheap even if I needed to buy this stuff. Now I can't actually use it yet, I have to solve the problem with the notch in the rim of the PF (a very common issue with non 3-way valve PFs). I accept the argument about needing to bleed 60ml/30s to correct the pressure - I will worry about such accuracy later - a .5 bar constant correction will be OK for now.

If I can't solve the problem with the notch, I will find a way to connect a gauge to the steam wand, and then it will show pressure during brewing. That would be perfect, but this is more convenient - and the threads on the steam wand are weird and the PF solution will work for all my machines.

6 comments:

  1. Could you please help me , i have technosystem older version of this machine. Components are the same could you explain to me how to modifay it to steam?

    Regards and tnx.

    alienlugi@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Technosystem magic coffee machine for sale. Unwanted gift, used half a dozen times.
    Wellington, New Zealand.
    rossnz@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello!
    I have a similar espresso machine but i have a problem with the silicon ring. i can not find a new one.
    can you pls help me with some advices?

    florinalexandrufa@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6https://aliexpress.ru/item/1005001817496355.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.33943c00nAzp36&mp=1&_ga=2.190255019.106401103.1612862953-1561084669.1577174852&_gac=1.116157812.1612344061.CjwKCAiAsOmABhAwEiwAEBR0ZvUCk1TM7sIjioJzk_4_8FF-HhynKEY2PSAyl4ZTwLuqOEzdovuQShoCOL4QAvD_BwE

      Delete
  4. Wow I love your mixed media effects Gio, a fabulous altered piece. Italian coffee

    ReplyDelete